Basic State Prosecutor’s Office opens two cases regarding Miloš Medenica: They will examine the circumstances of his escape and videos circulating on social media

The Basic State Prosecutor’s Office in Podgorica has opened two cases concerning the escape of Miloš Medenica, the son of the former President of the Supreme Court.
This was confirmed to Portal ETV by the Basic State Prosecutor's Office.
According to unofficial information obtained by Portal ETV, one case concerns the circumstances and details of Medenica’s escape, the logistics provided to him, etc., while the other relates to videos circulating on social media in which he allegedly appears.
Medenica fled on the day he was sentenced to 10 years and two months in prison. An Interpol arrest warrant has been issued for him.
POLICE KNOW BUT DO NOT DISCLOSE WHO PROVIDED LOGISTICS
Director of the Police Directorate Lazar Šćepanović previously stated that the police had determined where Medenica stayed on the night he left his apartment and who provided him with logistical support, but he refused to disclose those details to the public.
Appearing on the program „Načisto“ on Television „Vijesti“, he said that a review of video surveillance showed that on January 27, the day before the sentencing, after 6 p.m., his mother Vesna Medenica came to his apartment, and that he left around 11 p.m.
- In the evening hours at 11:03 p.m., the individual left the apartment for a specific location, which officers have identified, as well as who provided him with logistics, and they informed the state prosecutor who issues orders and obtains court warrants for the undertaking of measures and actions. In order to protect the search, so as not to influence certain individuals and measures that we hope will yield results, I must add that more than 100 facilities in Montenegro have been examined - Šćepanović said earlier.
THE CALL AND VIDEOS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Videos allegedly showing Miloš Medenica have appeared on social media, and the author and host of the program „Načisto“ Petar Komnenić received a video call from an unknown number on the Signal app during a commercial break last week and spoke with the alleged Medenica.
- In front of witnesses, I accepted the call, I did not leave the studio. The phone rang, and a virtual figure appeared who, according to my interlocutors, seemed very real. On the recommendation of experts, I tried to ask as many follow-up questions as possible in order to prevent the continuity of any prepared statement. The reaction was prompt. I even asked the person to mess up his hair, which I don’t have, and he did it in a split second - Komnenić said in the previous program.
He showed the recording at the end, after the guests had left the studio, one of whom was Interior Minister Danilo Šaranović, who did not agree to the video being broadcast publicly, stating that members of organized criminal groups should only appear before competent institutions.
After the program ended, Komnenić was summoned to the police to give a statement as a citizen.
Komnenić stated that after the show, three polite inspectors were waiting for him outside TV „Vijesti“ and asked him to come to the police station to give a statement.
- I explained everything I had already said during the program itself. I see no particular purpose in my visit with these very correct people. I clarified that through the „Istina“ portal I received information that I was being offered a live connection, I don’t know by whom - whether a virtual figure or a real person, and that I later realized that I had received a request via the Signal app to accept the call… Everything else I did in front of the Minister of the Interior (Danilo Šaranović), the former Minister of the Interior (Filip Adžić), and a member of the Security and Defence Committee (Mihailo Anđušić). I repeated what I had already said on the show - Komnenić told reporters outside the police building in Podgorica.
ŠĆEPANOVIĆ CLAIMS IT IS AI
Police Director Lazar Šćepanović is convinced that the case involves artificial intelligence (AI). However, the Forensic Centre did not handle the matter, instead, it was examined by the High-Tech Crime Unit within the Sector for Combating Crime.
- For the Forensic Centre to conduct evidentiary actions, there must be an order from the competent prosecutor. The High-Tech Crime Unit within the Sector for Combating Crime, which deals with cyber security, based on its experience, knowledge, and tools used, informed me that this involves artificial intelligence - he said on the program „Načisto“ on Television Vijesti.
Šćepanović emphasized that in order to engage the Forensic Centre to verify these recordings, a criminal offense would need to exist.
SENTENCES
Former President of the Supreme Court Vesna Medenica was sentenced to ten years in prison, and her son Miloš Medenica to ten years and two months, and both were ordered to pay 50.000 euros each.
The first-instance verdict was delivered by High Court judge Vesna Kovačević.
All defendants were found guilty, while Miloš Medenica, Marko Vučinić, Nikola Raičević, Petar Milutinović, Jovan Miković, Vojin Perunović, Milorad Medenica, Marjan Bevanja, Stevo Karanikić, Ivana Kovačević and Goran Jovanović were ordered to pay 2,736,715 euros to the state budget in compensation for damages.
Judge Kovačević stated that the judicial panel did not accept the prosecution’s claim that Vesna Medenica committed the criminal offense of forming a criminal organization, instead, she was convicted of unlawful influence.
Miloš Medenica was ordered into detention, while Vesna Medenica was banned from leaving Kolašin and had her passport confiscated.
Marko Vučinić was sentenced to a unified prison term of six years and two months and fined 15.000 euros, and was also banned from leaving Podgorica with his passport confiscated. Nikola Raičević was sentenced to eight years and fined 20.000 euros.
Marko Popović was sentenced to one year, Bojan Popović to six months, and Vasilije Petrović to one year in prison. Milorad Medenica received a unified sentence of three years and two months; Luka Bakoč was sentenced to one year and four months and released from detention. Radomir Raičević was sentenced to one year and four months, Darko Lalović to one year, Petar Milutinović to three years plus an additional fine of 5.000 euros. Marjan Bevanja and Stevo Karanikić were each sentenced to four years, Ivana Kovačević to four and a half years and fined 15.000 euros, Goran Jovanović and Jovan Milović to three years and ten months each, and Vojin Perunović to two years.
According to the indictment of the Special State Prosecutor’s Office, Miloš Medenica’s organization was formed for cigarette and marijuana smuggling and for unlawfully influencing judicial decisions.
The case against the Medenicas and others was initially assigned to Judge Nada Rabrenović, but over the course of one year and ten months, hearings were postponed more than 20 times.
After Rabrenović went on sick leave due to health problems, the case was reassigned to Judge Vesna Kovačević, who took over in April 2025 and the trial began anew.
According to the SSPO indictment, the organization was created for cigarette and marijuana smuggling, as well as unlawful influence on judicial decision-making.
Miloš Medenica was in detention from May 2022 until October 17, 2025, when it was lifted and replaced with house arrest. He left the Investigation Prison because no first-instance verdict had been delivered within three years.
In their closing arguments, prosecutors Jovan Vukotić and Vukas Radonjić emphasized that the proceedings established that Miloš Medenica had formed a criminal group and that his mother Vesna Medenica, former head of the judiciary, was not „an ordinary member but the institutional shield of the criminal organization“. They argued that the guilt of the other sixteen members had also been proven. Prosecutor Radonjić requested that Vesna and Miloš Medenica each be sentenced to 20 years in prison and fined 100.000 euros.
On the other hand, the defense firmly maintained that no evidence had proven their clients’ guilt.
In her closing statement, Vesna Medenica said: „Vesna will never talk. It is known whose Vesna is, and perhaps they thought that by proposing 20 years in prison I would talk“.
- That will not happen. I will walk with a clean conscience and head held high. I have endured three years and eight months of a difficult life. I am finishing the first half of my life. I dedicated my life to my family, my work, and my profession, and with my kindness I fed the wolves - Medenica said.